This month’s meeting took place at Lancaster Bible College’s Trust Performing Arts Center in the heart of downtown Lancaster. We enjoyed a delicious spread from Panera Bread, contributed by our community partners. A huge thank you goes out to Kevin Gero and Josh Nixon, our local contact, from Universal Technical Institute. Kevin presented on the benefit of a technical education at UTI and provided useful information for school counselors working with students deciding on a career path.
Thank you also to Mila Pilz, from Conflict Resolution Services (formerly Lancaster Mediation Center), who shared information about continuing education credits through Bryn Mawr college as well as the mediation services provided by the organization. You can access more information about these services at http://conflictservicespa.org/
Additionally, as a wonderful “treat”, Wynne Kinder and Christen Cosia of Wellness Works led us through a mindfulness workshop. By understanding what it means to be mindful and how we can tap into our mindfulness resources, we can achieve less stress and learn how to reset ourselves. More information on Wellness Works can be found at http://www.mindfulyoga.com/programs/index.htm.
Announcements from PSCA:
- The 60th Annual PSCA Conference is less than two weeks away! This year’s theme is School Counselors: Leading with Purpose and Passion. Pre-Conference starts on Wednesday, February 17th. The Conference runs from Thursday, February 18th to Saturday, February 20th at the Hershey Lodge.
- Lancaster County’s own, Mike Resch, will be recognized as Pennsylvania’s School Counselor of the Year.
Announcements from LCSCA:
- The LCSCA board will be seeking new candidates for the President and Treasurer positions. This could be an opportunity for you to take on a new leadership role! Please email Steve Sharp if you are interested in joining the board Stephen_sharp@hempfieldsd.org
- Potential new program for LCSCA members: "Invite, Invest, Inspire", where school counselors will have an opportunity to discuss situations of concern and share resources. Everything will be confidential – just an opportunity to get ideas and helpful suggestions. We are inviting you to become invested and inspire each other! Participation can help meet Domain 4 of the school counselor evaluation and a leadership opportunity for LCSCA Members. Look out in email for more information.
*Idea adopted from Central Virginia School Counselors Association
- Millersville University will be hosting a 6 credit graduate course in Switzerland this summer. The topic is the Psychology of Sustainability and Building Resilient Communities. Consider the opportunity for continuing education credits.
- Leadership Summit: Dialogues on Racism Capital Region Thursday, March 10th 2016
Lancaster-Lebanon Region Thursday, April 7th, 2016 at Millersville University, Student Memorial Center. 5-10 Students from each district invited.
Thank you to all who participated in our February Meeting. The next LCSCA meeting will be held on May 3, 2016 at 8:00am. The meeting will take place at Pathways Center for Grief and Loss. Dr. Latinia M. Shell, LPC, Diversity Works Counseling, LLC will present.
See you all again in warmer weather!
- Janet Henninger, School Counseling Graduate Student